This course was designed to give the law enforcement officer a good foundation and working knowledge of techniques that will help them prevail in an altercation that ends up on the ground. This is significant because a study conducted by a major law enforcement agency revealed that approximately 2/3 of all police vs. suspect use-of-force incidents end up on the ground.
The ground-fighting techniques taught in the two days of instruction cover reversals, escapes, weapon retention, takedowns, preventing takedowns, proper striking, ground defense and the neck restraint. Furthermore, all the techniques will flow into a handcuffing position. Practical application training will consist of:
1. Learning and demonstrating the physical techniques with control and proper form.
2. Performing proper ground-fighting techniques with a partner.
3. Defending against a “live” attack from a padded assailant.
Upon completion of this course students will be familiar with:
1. Common suspect altercation patterns
2. Proper mindset during a use-of-force situation
3. Case law as it applies to use-of-force incidents
4. Proper techniques in controlling aggressive-combative subjects
5. Ground-fighting and weapon retention skills
6. Tactical team “physical” tactics considerations
7. Verbalization and de-escalation skills during a use-of-force incident
8. Proper ground-fighting defensive tactics training methods